For many years the administration of George Washington High School has recognized that an alum and friends group would be of great value in maintaining an academically rich, athletically vibrant, socially diverse, and safe high school. Since GW opened its doors in 1961, 50 classes of students have passed through. Even a small number of these former students could develop an astounding support system for the students now enrolled, and for future classes.
Mission Statement and Objectives
The mission of Alumni & Friends of George is to build a network of projects and services, including on-going funding for these projects and services, intended to support current and future students of George Washington High School.
- To establish an alumni network by compiling and maintaining a database of GW graduates.
- To use this alumni network for fundraising and for recruiting volunteers to provide leadership and opportunities for the students.
- To establish a mentoring program, job network, and scholarships to help current GW students make the transition from high school to the workplace or higher education.
- To help with classroom equipment and materials, library collections, faculty development, and building improvements.
- To help keep successful programs funded when they are threatened by Denver Public Schools budget shortfalls.
- To encourage new projects and programs developed by or recommended by students, teachers, and administrators.
- To establish a George Washington High School historical archive.